Saturday’s double header in the ABFA Premier Division was as exciting for fans as the rain falling over the country was for the farmers. Additionally, those who thought that the soggy field at the ARG would have been an impediment to good football were proven wrong.

Both matches were 3-2 thrillers, with Old Road knocking off Rangers before Fort Road came from a 0-2 deficit to beat Bullets.

Old Road took a 3-0 lead on a Kimoy Alexander penalty four minutes after Edroy Williams had given the Round South men a two-goal cushion in the 54th.

Former national striker Stephan “Tommy” Smith opened the scoring for Old Road one minute from intermission after he muscled through two defenders to hit home from close range.

Nine minutes after the break, Williams doubled the lead when Rangers fell asleep in defence and he received a ball on the edge of the six.

Williams made no mistake, and Old Road seemed on the way to an easy win as Alexander then increased the lead.

Terry Roberts handed a ball in the area and referee Kerry Skepple awarded a penalty, and the gift card was cashed in.

Rangers could have easily given up, but the George “Cajawawa” Warner coached team made a run at overcoming the huge task only to fall short in the end.

Three minutes after Alexander’s successful penalty, Old Road gave up a goal to Junior Benjamin who sacrificed his body to hit home.

Benjamin threw his body at a ball stuck in mud at the mouth of the goal and although he got the goal, he was also injured in the process.

Seven minutes later Rangers received a life line – actually two – in the form of a penalty and a red card to Old Road’s defender Malcolm Joseph.

The expulsion came after a breakaway to goal forced Joseph to pull back the striker in the area on way to score.

The action resulted in penalty which Troy “Darey” Mellanson hit home to give Rangers a fighting chance at a total comeback.

With the player advantage, Rangers threw everything at Old Road but were unable to get a much needed point from the game.

In the nightcap, Bullets came out firing and went up 2-0 before half time, a lead they were unable to hold on to as Fort Road fought back to win in thrilling fashion.

Diquani Francis gave Bullets the lead in the 33rd minute after he got a ball on the edge of the 18 and fired over the head of the keeper who was off his line.

Nine minutes later Roderick Williams doubled the lead, which was cut in two just a minute later.

Gary Barnes got a good ball inside the six and tucked it home two minutes from intermission.

Five minutes after the interval, Fort Road, who came out with zest and confidence, got the equalizer thanks to a Donald Braithwaith conversion.

Five minutes after the tying goal, Troy Dublin completed the comeback with a precise side-footed shot from inside the six.

Bullets tried hard to regain control, but Fort Road’s tough defending late in the contest did not allow for a letdown.